Access Call Stipend Resources
On Call Stipends
Data Entry and Call Statement modules are located in resident POWER accounts. Residents are responsible for entering and saving monthly call in POWER with some months including several rotations. Rotations and hospital sites are pre-populated in the system but can be edited at any time. Monthly records are automatically submitted one week after the end of each month’s call and may include the previous month. Payment for anything beyond is not eligible as per the PARO-CAHO Agreement unless extenuating circumstances exist. Maximum Call Rules according to the Agreement are: 7 In Hospital, 10 Qualifying, 10 Home (including Converted). Explanations are required for all exceeded call via a comments pop up box.
Medical Education Administrators at each hospital review call dates before final submission by PGME.
Categories of call
- In Hospital Call Stipend
The resident is scheduled to begin the In-Hospital call sometime after a regular rotation and the call extends beyond 11 pm on a weekday or weekend.
- Home Call/Shortened Call Stipend
- A resident is scheduled to do Home Call or;
- A resident is scheduled for In Hospital Call but is relieved of duties at or before 11 pm. (shortened call) The resident must have been on rotation before the call in order to qualify or;
- A resident who is not on call but who is required to round on weekends, and attend in hospital.
- Converted Call Stipend
The resident is scheduled on Home Call but works more than 4 hours in hospital during the call period, AND at least 1 hour is past midnight and before 6:00 am.
- Qualifying Shift Stipend
A qualifying shift pertains only to those rotations which involve In-Hospital shift work (e.g. emergency department)- where 1 full hour is worked between midnight and 6:00 am.
12 hour daytime shifts are covered by salaries. Qualifying shifts vary from the usual model of rotation + call model.
Stipends are paid by the University of Toronto, Faculty of Medicine Paymaster at the end of the month following call; (i.e. July call is paid at the end of August if it was submitted by August 7th).
Call Statement module (below Date Entry) on POWER lists pending and paid calls by month. Click any month to expand details.
- In-Hospital + Converted Calls = $127.60
- Home Call + Qualifying Shifts = $63.80
- Beginning July 1, 2019, weekend calls pay an additional 10%: $70.18 and $140.36
Did you know?
- If you are a UofT resident (PGY) and a member of the Professional Association of Residents of Ontario (PARO), enter completed call dates in the online Call Stipends module in POWER.
- For instructions and examples, click on the FAQ and PARO links on your Data Entry screen.
- After SAVING call dates, monthly records are automatically submitted by the system on the 7th of each month following call.
- Payroll is on a semi-monthly schedule: 15th and 30th of each month. Call stipends are paid on the 2nd payroll only – one month after the call month. For example, July call is paid August 30th.
- If you forget to submit by the deadline, you can submit the previous month’s call with the current month but nothing earlier.
If you are currently a residency trainee looking for information on Call Stipends, please access one of the following options:
If you have any further questions or concerns with respect to Call Stipends, please contact Jill Kinsella.