Access Call Stipend Resources
On Call Stipends
Data Entry and Call Statement modules are located in resident POWER accounts. Residents are responsible for entering and saving monthly call in POWER. Although each month may include 1 or 2 rotations, stipends are paid monthly. Rotations and hospital sites are pre-populated in the system but can be edited at any time. Residents enter all call for each month and these are automatically submitted one week after the end of each month’s call. Stipends are entered for the current month and if necessary, the previous month. Payment for anything beyond is not eligible as per the PARO-CAHO Agreement unless extenuating circumstances exist. Maximum Call Rules according to the PARO-CAHO Agreement are: 7 In Hospital, 10 Qualifying, 10 Home (including Converted). Explanations are required for all exceeded call via a comments pop up box.
All calls will be reviewed by the Medical Education Administrator at each hospital as well as PGME.
Categories of call
- In Hospital Call Stipend
The resident is scheduled to begin the In-Hospital call sometime after a regular rotation and the call extends beyond 11 pm on a weekday or weekend.
- Home Call/Shortened Call Stipend
- A resident is scheduled to do Home Call or;
- A resident is scheduled for In Hospital Call but is relieved of duties at or before 11 pm. (shortened call) The resident must have been on rotation before the call in order to qualify or;
- A resident who is not on call but who is required to round on weekends, and attend in hospital.
- Converted Call Stipend
The resident is scheduled on Home Call but works more than 4 hours in hospital during the call period, AND at least 1 hour is past midnight and before 6:00 am.
- Qualifying Shift Stipend
A qualifying shift pertains only to those rotations which involve In-Hospital shift work (e.g. emergency department). 1 full hour is worked between midnight and 6:00 am.
(There is no payment for 12 hour daytime shifts). These shifts vary from the regular model of rotation + call.
Stipends are paid by the University of Toronto, Faculty of Medicine Paymaster at the end of the month following call; (i.e. July call is paid at the end of August if it was submitted by August 7th).
Call Statement module on POWER lists all pending and paid calls by month.
- Amounts: In-Hospital + Converted Calls = $127.60
- Amounts: Home Call + Qualifying Shifts = $63.80
Did you know?
- You enter your call dates online in the POWER system. You can enter your call daily or at the end of each month, or once at the end of the month.
- For help, click on the FAQ and PARO links on your Data Entry screen.
- After you SAVE your on-line entries, your record will automatically be submitted by the system at the end of each month, regardless of rotation start/end date.
- Payroll is on a semi-monthly schedule: 15th and 30th each month. Call stipends are paid on the 2nd payroll.
- Call stipends are paid one month after the call, for example, call completed and entered in the system between March 1st and March 31st will be paid April 30th. For example, call entered in the system between July 1st and July 31st will be paid by August 30th.
- Forgot to submit by the deadline? You have an extra 30 days to submit your “late” call (click on the calendar icon and arrow back to previous month).
For further instructions on call stipends or to see frequently asked questions, please select the appropriate link below.
If you are currently a residency trainee looking for information on Call Stipends, please access one of the following options:
If you have any further questions or concerns with respect to Call Stipends, please contact Jill Kinsella.