Access Call Stipend Resources
On Call Stipends
Data Entry and Call Statement modules are located in resident POWER accounts. Residents are responsible for entering and saving monthly call in POWER. Rotations and hospital sites are pre-populated in the system but can be edited at any time. Monthly records are automatically submitted one week after the end of each month’s call and may include the previous month. Payment for anything beyond the previous month is not eligible as per the PARO-CAHO Agreement unless extenuating circumstances exist. Maximum Call Rules according to the Agreement are: 7 In Hospital, 10 Qualifying, 10 Home (including Converted). Explanations are required for all exceeded call via a comments pop up box.
Medical Education Administrators at each hospital review call dates before final submission by PGME.
Categories of call
- In-Hospital Call Stipend: A resident is scheduled to begin the In Hospital call sometime after a regular rotation and the call extends beyond 11 pm on a weekday or weekend. See other examples in Section 11.
- Home Call/Shortened Call Stipend: This covers several categories:
- A resident is scheduled for Home Call;
- A resident starts the in-hospital call sometime after the regular rotation but is relieved of duties at or before 11 pm (“shortened hospital call”). The resident must have been on rotation before the call in order to qualify;
- A resident is not already on call but is required to round on weekends, and attend in hospital; or
- A resident is scheduled for a weekend clinic. See other examples in Section 12.
- Converted Call Stipend: A resident is scheduled for Home Call (at home) but works more than 4 hours in hospital during the call period, AND at least 1 hour between midnight and 6:00 am. When you mark a “Converted Call”, you must confirm both conditions above in the comments box provided. You do not need to specify any activities. If your comments do not confirm both conditions, you will be emailed to clarify. Working for 4 hours during the day on a Monday to Friday does not contribute towards converted call hours as your salary covers this.
- Qualifying Shift Stipend: A qualifying shift pertains only to those rotations that involve In-Hospital shift work (e.g. emergency rotations). A resident is paid this type of stipend if, and only if, 1 full hour is worked between midnight and 6:00 am. There is no payment for 12-hour daytime shifts or working up to midnight as regular salaries cover this.
NOTE: On July 1, 2019, 2 weekend categories were created to pay an additional 10% for calls scheduled between Friday evening and Sunday night. As usual, this refers to residents on Call and does not refer to residents working late hours on their rotation. Click here for Weekend Call Instructions.
- WEEKEND In-Hospital/Converted: between Friday evening and Sunday night.
- In-Hospital call after regular rotation where the call extends beyond 11 pm;
- Converted Call where a resident works at least 4 hours in hospital during the call period with at least 1 hour beyond midnight.
- WEEKEND Home/Other between Friday evening and Sunday night:
- Home Call (at home);
- Shortened In-Hospital call ending at or before 11pm;
- Weekend clinic;
- Weekend Rounding on Saturday/Sunday when a resident is not scheduled for call but attends in hospital; or
- Qualifying Shift that extends 1 hour beyond midnight (all other qualifying shifts are covered by salaries and therefore not eligible for the increased rate).
Stipends are paid by the University of Toronto, Faculty of Medicine Paymaster at the end of the month following call; (i.e. July call is paid at the end of August if it was submitted by August 7th).
Call Statement module (below Data Entry) on POWER lists pending and paid calls by month. Click any month to expand details.
- In-Hospital + Converted Calls = $127.60
- Home Call + Qualifying Shifts = $63.80
- Beginning July 1, 2019, weekend calls pay an additional 10%: $70.18 and $140.36
Did you know?
- If you are a UofT resident (PGY) and a member of the Professional Association of Residents of Ontario (PARO), enter completed call dates in the online Call Stipends module in POWER.
- For instructions and examples, click on the FAQ and PARO links on your Data Entry screen.
- After SAVING call dates, monthly records are automatically submitted by the system on the 7th of each month following call.
- Payroll is on a semi-monthly schedule: 15th and 30th of each month. Call stipends are paid on the 2nd payroll only – one month after the call month. For example, July call is paid August 30th.
- If you forget to submit by the deadline, you can submit the previous month’s call with the current month but nothing earlier.
If you are currently a residency trainee looking for information on Call Stipends, please access one of the following options:
If you have any further questions or concerns with respect to Call Stipends, please contact Jill Kinsella.