Mobile Menu
\

PGMEAC Meeting Materials

  Back to Boards & Committees

The following sections provide agendas, minutes and attachments for PGMEAC meetings from the 2010-11 academic session to the current academic session.

2018-19 PGMEAC Agendas, Minutes & Attachments

1. Resident Report

PARO is preparing for the new residents who will start in July.  Plans are underway for the Toronto new resident orientation where call kits will be handed out and a post-event social to welcome the incoming residents.
PARO is collecting feedback on best practices for hospital sites that do registration and onboarding and will have the information ready to share at HUEC later this month.
PARO is collecting more information about call room requirements for residents on home call and will report back on final decisions.
PARO 24/7 Helpline that is completely confidential and staffed by Crisis Workers trained to work with medical residents. http://www.myparo.ca/helpline/

2. PAAC Report

PAAC Award 2019 winner was Ed Ang from Family Medicine which was presented at the PA Appreciation Event on April 24th.
The PAAC committee will review the criteria for the award and explore possible expansion, which would include overall support to the program/residents and one for innovation.
PA Appreciation Event was well attended with over 75 participants.
New Project is underway with a working group on strengthening the relationship between Hospital Medical Education offices and Program Administrators to ensure that information is streamlined and efficiently sent in a timely manner to both groups.  The working group will also look at creating a standard template for registration at all sites.
PAAC Executive Changes include: Bernice Baumgart, Chair (replacing Bryan Abankwah); Savannah Clancey, Vice Chair (replacing Bernice Baumgart); Catherine Wong, Secretary (replacing Paula Nixon) – membership updates effective September 2019.

3. Accreditation 2020
Probyn provided an update on preparation for Accreditation 2020.
AQs have been sent to all programs and are due back to PGME by October 15, 2019.
Accreditation Workshop Dates: May 21, May 31, June 18 and June 21 – more details to follow soon!

4. CBME/BPEA
Onboarding total as of July 1st this year will be 23 programs; 13 of those will be new programs to CBD.
Tool building and ITARs are underway.
Elentra Faculty and resident development is ongoing.
Elentra Bulletin will start going out to all faculty, residents, PDs and PAs bi-weekly.
CBME Learner Focus Groups are underway with two completed and one more in the next week.
CBME Faculty Focus Groups are underway with one completed and two more taking place next week.
EPA completion rates are being studied currently.

5. Policies/Guidelines
BPEA Guideline: Reporting on Assessment Results was approved.
Wellness Subcommittee Terms of Reference were reviewed and approved with one addition of adding a PAAC member to the committee.

6. BOE Update
Hynes provided an update on their role in assisting residents in academic difficulty.  Full details can be found in the attachment.
CPSO Renewal Application: residents have to self disclose remediation for Professional, Collaborator, Communicator.

7. PGME Innovation Opportunity
McDonald, a resident at Western shared and innovation opportunity that she is a part of with other trainees in Ottawa.  My On Call pager app (MOC) is a simulated pager program. An educational tool for trainees in addition to helping programs to monitor/assess safety of autonomy.
Cost is free for 2019-20 pilot year; then $750/program for question development ($50/hr x 15 hrs paid question development) and a project coordinator.

8.CCME Update
CaRMS is rolling out a new feature for how programs select whether candidates will be interviewed or not.
BPAS Implementation was shared and PGME will assist with the progress.

Attachments

1. Resident Report
The call room audits for the specific sites are ongoing. Isolated issues have been brought to site leads. It was agreed that PGME will look into specific issues related to availability of call rooms with the OHA as part of the OHA/PARO agreement.
PARO is pleased to hear that the resident registration matters are being addressed.
A number of fun events are planned for the Spring including a Jazz Night and others.

2. PAAC Report
PAAC Award Nominations are now closed with 28 nominations. The award recipient will soon be announced and presented at the PA Appreciation event on April 24th.  All nominees will be recognized at the Appreciation Event.

3. COFM
PARO is interested in identifying leading practices in fatigue risk management. PG deans emphasized that, while they will champion centralized policies and discussions, this will require a major culture change that will require some time, likely years, to improve.
CAHO is interested in identifying best practices in resident wellness. Ari Zaretsky will reach out to wellness offices to collate current initiatives.
PARO did a provincial call room audit and almost all were compliant.
PARO requested support in adhering to both ‘leave after call’ policies, and in managing vacation requests. Vacation can ONLY be denied to a resident if service delivery cannot be met and an alternative must be offered in the same rotation. Threatening to evaluate the rotation as ‘incomplete’ is inappropriate. Though residents who do take major time off during a rotation are at risk of failure/incompletion, this can only be determined at the end of the rotation when performance is assessed against goals and objectives.
Maximum of 8 weeks of electives in a single discipline cap in all Canadian UG programs moving forward. Logistics being sorted by UG deans, final version to be completed hopefully at CCME. Will take effect in 2021. Programs will need to adjust their expectations that applicants will have multiple electives in their discipline (because they won’t be able to anymore).
The MOHLTC presented confidential new health human resources modelling data.  The data includes projections based on both their Needs Based Model and supply models.  Further discussions are required between MOH and PG deans to understand the implications of their modelling on quotas implications.

HUEC

Standardization of Teaching Evaluations is a new working group led by Drs. Bandiera and Houston to make recommendations regarding the possible and appropriate standardization and enhancements of faculty teaching assessment across the MD and Post MD Education Programs.
PGMEAC guideline on Assignment of Medical trainees to sites that had been approved at PGMEAC last month was endorsed by HUEC.
HUEC was updated on accreditation preparation for both UG and PG programs, both of which are scheduled for 2020.
HUEC was updated on the 2019 CaRMS results, fewer undergraduates went unmatched from U of T this year, and more U of T students received interviews at U of T. The percentage that matched to U of T, however, was similar to past years.

4. Internal Review Committee (IRC)
Probyn presented the current status of IRC activity for both Postgrad and Family Medicine.

5. Accreditation 2020
Probyn provided an update on preparation for Accreditation 2020.
Bandiera has been meeting with all the Department Chairs to review the programs’ needs.
PGME will share the Accreditation Questionnaires (AQs) with Vice Chairs and VPs Education for all hospitals to ensure that everyone is on the same page and able to address any needs.
Tip Sheet is a guide for programs to assist with the wording for the AQs, and can be added to by programs as needed.

6.CBME/BPEA
Implementation of CBD in Elentra is going very well.  Programs values the features offered.  Much of April/May will be spent building tools for launched and newly launched programs as part of the migration to core Elentra.  Checklists to assist programs in onboarding to Elentra, either as a full launch program or to pilot will shortly be available online on the PGME website.
Family Medicine is using Elentra as field notes now.
Tableau is a data visualization platform to inform Competency Committees on assessment data with over 10 programs using it now.  Some hospitals were experiencing access issues to Tableau due to their firewalls, and this issue is now almost fully resolved.

7. Policies/Guidelines
The following Guidelines are approved and can be accessed on the PGME website via this link: https://pg.postmd.utoronto.ca/about-pgme/policies-guidelines/
Assignment and Removal of Trainees from Teaching Sites
Program Support for PDs and PAs 
Post MD Education Goals will be adopted and created to align with PGME following the UG Education Goals.  More details to follow.
BPEA Guideline: Reporting on Assessment Results was discussed but due to time constraints, will be carried over for more discussion at the April meeting.

8. CaRMs Update
Abrahams provided an update on the first iteration of the CaRMS match.

9. PGMEAC Membership
The Terms of Reference were reviewed and approved.
Membership will be shared with the Department Chairs to decide who will represent core and subspecialty programs.

Attachments

Summary

1. Resident Report
PARO has had a full General Council and a Toronto site meeting.  The goals this year are to help residents navigate what to do if an issue arises (contract violations, etc).  Quality of Life for residents is a main focus (solutions for common badge, registration, repetitive modules, etc). The call room audits for the specific sites are complete. Social events are ongoing.

2. PAAC Report
PAAC Award Nomination submission deadline is: Friday March 1stThe award recipient will be announced at the PA Appreciation event in April. PA Appreciation event plans are underway.

3. COFM
Call Room Audits are difficult to track. Suggested model plans with more flexibility.
PARO/CAHO issues – PG Deans wrote a letter to CAHO/PARO expressing their desire to have more input on this matter.  Dialogue is ongoing.
CPSO is looking at registration processes and ways to expedite where they can.  Some recommendations were put forward to allow straight forward cases to be reviewed at the assessor/manager level, rather than having to go to Registration Committee. This decision will reduce the volume by 20% and will decrease delays for programs who have trainees awaiting decisions from Reg Comm.
SAEGIS is a wholly-owned subsidiary of CMPA whose mission is to protect the professional integrity of physicians and promote safe medical care in Canada. They offer many workshops, programs, and professional development for physicians
and healthcare professionals. For more information please visit https://saegis.solutions/en

HUEC
Interoperability of Systems was discussed and HUEC expressed interest in taking an initiative to help reduce barriers for learners to both onboard at hospitals and carry out their work through better coordination and harmonization of IT systems and registration processes.
Guideline: Assignment and Removal of Trainees from Teaching Sites was reviewed and a few additional principles were added for PGMEAC to review and approve. The document will be revised with the approved edits and be returned to HUEC for final approval in March.

4. Internal Review Committee (IRC)
Probyn presented the current status of IRC activity. Self-study reports were distributed to programs in mid-January. Sessions on the new Accreditation Standards are ongoing. (slides attached)

PGME External Review Update 
Bandiera summarized the report from our external review that was held on November 7 & 8 2018.  The Areas for Improvement (AFIs) and persistent weakness will be the main focus of the PGME in preparation for the upcoming Accreditation in 2020. (slides attached)

5. Accreditation 2020
Accreditation Management System (AMS) The University of Toronto residency training programs will be held to the new accreditation standards at our upcoming on-site visit in the Fall 2020. In preparation for this accreditation visit there will be a new accreditation questionnaire (replacing the old PSQ) that corresponds to the new standards for each program to complete. Timelines regarding the questionnaire can be found in the attached slides.

6. CBME/BPEA
Elentra “Core” Reminder that PGME is switching back to the “core” version of Elentra for the 2019-20 academic year.  The version we launched in 2018-19 was highly customized for U of T needs, but does not offer certain features (i.e. being able to preview a form before triggering it for completion). In moving back to the core version we will be able to easily take advantage of system enhancements contributed by all consortium partners.
BPEA will have sample mock reports in Tableau to share at the PGMEAC meeting in March.

7. Translational Research Program
Ferenbok presented the Master program at UofT, the Translational Research Program. He is reaching out to trainees and faculty who might be interested in improving their translational skills while earning an MHSc in Translational Research. Please visit the website at https://trp.utoronto.cafor more details.

8. Registration Update
Morris presented on the registration process throughout the academic year, including important date reminders. The dates for the next CMPA Resident Symposium can be found in the attached slides.

9. PGMEAC Membership
To ensure full representation of all training programs (PGY1 entry and subspecialties), we will be reviewing the PGMEAC membership identifying gaps.  Further discussion on this issue at the next PGMEAC meeting in March.

10. MBA Opportunity for Residents
Professor William Mitchell met with Dr. Bandiera about securing support for residents to undertake a full time MBA. Rotman is willing to offer TWO Dean’s Fellowships to cover $90, 000 of the $110, 000 tuition. Program details and application details are in the attached briefing note. Please circulate to all eligible residents.

Attachments

Summary

1. Resident Report
PARO’s first Toronto site meeting is next week and they will be planning social and wellness events for the year. Call room audits at various hospitals will be complete by the end of this month.

2.COFM & HUEC Updates

COFM
Quotas Ministry of Health has not reached a decision yet regarding additional positions for the PGY1 match. Members will be informed of any updates. Touchstone has revised the Canadian Medicine Primer course for international learners entering training. PGME is considering how best to prepare incoming trainees and the role Touchstone will have for UofT in the future. MOH announced a recent re-organization. The HHR Workforce Planning Unit has been restructured and is now part of the Capital and Capacity Planning Branch. David Lamb is still the Director. AFMC report re Unmatched Students issue suggests unblending of IMGs and CMGs in second round of match. This means CMGs and IMGs would compete separately for specific CMG and IMG positions. Dialogue is ongoing.

HUEC
Support and Resources for Breastfeeding Mothers Across Teaching Sites Survey was recently conducted for an environmental scan of what hospitals are currently doing. From the report, the recommendations were: 1) If something is in place at a hospital to support this, make sure it is known to trainees. 2) If nothing is in place at a hospital, work on something being put in place to ensure the support is happening. Incident Meetings with hospital HR and a Trainee As these meetings can be intimidating for a trainee, they can now request a representative from PG Wellness office for support and to attend the meeting with them.

WSIB Coverage for Fellows was discussed regarding the issue of a fellow on rotation at various hospitals. Coverage of the clinical fellows and responsibility for WSIB premium payments is schedule for discussion at the Fellowship Education Advisory Committee and results will be discussed at a future meeting. Common Badge & standardization across sites still does not have a resolution as it an operational matter at hospitals. There was a previous survey of hospital procedures regarding badge production. It was recommended that the Edu Deans office
update the survey and the results discussed at a future meeting.

3. Internal Review Committee (RC)
L. Probyn presented the current status of the IRC activity. There have been four separate workshops on the new Accreditation Standards and more will be offered in the near future. Newsletters with information and status updates to Accreditation will be
sent out to all programs shortly.

4. CBME/BPEA
G. Bandiera shared that the second set of mini-conference/workshops are complete, organized for programs onboarding next year.
CBME Leads met with the Royal College at the recent ICRE conference. There continues to be net migration away from e-Portfolio and schools are either using Elentra or a home grown IT Platform. Work around Tableau as an application to report on assessments is underway. Use of the Tableau software is free via the University license. PGME staff will offer a base configuration of assessment reports in Tableau to residency programs implementing CBME. PGME is switching back to the “core” version of Elentra for the 2019-20 academic year. The version we launched in 2018-19 was highly customized for U of T needs, but does not offer certain features (i.e. being able to preview a form before triggering it for completion). In moving back to the core version we will be able to easily take advantage of enhancements. Vice Chair Education meetings continue with Dr. Bandiera and Dr. Susan Glover Takahashi to provide CBD updates and ensure support is in place for all programs.

5. PGME External Review
Our PGME External Review preparations continue and are almost finalized and ready for the review meetings which will be held on November 7th and 8th.

6. Guideline: Assignment and Removal of Trainees from Teaching Sites were due for review. Suggested changes or comments are due back to the Associate Dean by Friday, November 2nd.

7. PG Wellness Office Update
J. Maggi presented on the current status and updates in wellness. The Resident Wellness Office name has changed to Postgraduate Wellness Office to reflect that they serve residents and clinical fellows. There is a Wellness Subcommittee that meets quarterly. An invitation will be sent out shortly to residents/fellows to sit on this committee. Docs for Docs is a project in the works to match each trainee with a family doctor. Multiple wellness workshops are available throughout the year. For more details on each workshop, please visit the Postgraduate Wellness Office website.

8. Saudi Trainees
G. Bandiera shared that the situation is evolving quickly. Conditional offers have been sent to trainees and funding contracts for MSM trainees will be honoured.

9. Relations with Industry Module
J. Goguen shared a DRAFT module that all faculty will need to complete in the near future. It will provide scenarios and what to do if there is a conflict in a variety of situations. This is in keeping with the University’s Conflict of Interest and Relationships with Industry policies. More details to follow in the near future.

Attachments

2017-18 PGMEAC Agendas, Minutes & Attachments

Summary

At our March 23, 2018 meeting, the following was discussed:

  1. Translational Research Program J. Ferenbok gave an overview of the Translational Research Program. Please visit the Translational Research Program website for more details.
  2. The Academy of Resident Teachers (ART) proposal was reviewed by members and comments collected and forwarded to the ART program planning committee. G. Bandiera thanked everyone for their input.
  3. Resident Report – Four key items were shared: 1) A financial program called Tax Talk is offered by PARO; 2) A PARO rep will be speaking at the PGY1 Orientation reception on June 28th and a PARO social event will follow; 3) A full General Council meeting will be held today to elect next year’spresident; 4) Call Room Issue: Sunnybrook has pledged funding for new call rooms, while issues at SMH and MSH are ongoing re call rooms that are difficult to access. It was noted that appropriately equipped facilities for breast-pumping have been requested.
  4. Postgraduate Administrators Advisory Committee (PAAC) B. Abankwah shared that the Program Administrators Appreciation Event will be moved to June. The PAAC Award nomination forms will be sent out shortly.
  5. COFM – Bill 148 Fair Workplaces, Better Jobs Act G. Bandiera noted that this Bill resulted in many changes to the Employment Standards Act (ESA) such as minimum wage, sick leave entitlement, etc. Unmatched Students were discussed. The MOHLTC is discussing the issue internally. HUEC – The Faculty Strategic Plan is still being developed with external consultants.The unmatched students continue to be a topic.The common badge issue was discussed. There seemed to be interest from the hospitals. The topic will be raised again at a future meeting.
  6. Internal Review Committee (RC) – L. Probyn presented the current status of the IRC activity. She indicated the new Institutional Accreditation Standards will be presented at the All Program Directors meeting on May 25th.
  7. CBME/BPEA G. Bandiera and S. Glover Takahashi presented 5 documents for approval prepared by the BPEA Advisory Committee to assist programs in CBME implementation. The documents provided templates and guidelines for the creation of Competency Committees, selecting assessors, providing timely assessment and feedback, disclosure of learner needs, and consideration of resident self-assessment.
  8. Transfer Principles Policy – L. Muharuma highlighted the comments received on the Transfer Guidelines. The document was accepted by members with the relevant edits and the final version will be posted on the website.
  9. Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) – Currently, the PG Office reimburses residents or the centres where the residents take their first ACLS training. If the program requires the resident to obtain re-certification, the program will pay for the course/reimburse the resident. If the hospital requires it for entry to a rotation, the hospital will pay for ACLS training.
  10. Global Health Day – B. Pakes presented an outline of the Global Health Education Initiative – a program for residents delivered via in-classroom modules by a variety of faculty and field experts. This year, the PG Global Health Day event will be held on Thursday, May 31st at the Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute at St. Michael’s Hospital from 12:30 to 5:00 pm, including lunch. All members are urged to attend and also encourage residents to attend.
  11. All PDs – G. Bandiera encouraged all PGMEAC members to attend the year-end All Program Directors and FM Site Directors meeting on Friday, May25th. Dr. Whiteside, former Dean will be giving the annual Mickle address, and awards will be presented.
  12. Date of Hospital Orientation – The hospital orientation date for incoming PGY1s will be the first working day after July 1st.
  13. CMPA Symposium Dates for the upcoming academic year are as follows (Family Medicine dates will be released shortly):

2018
Tuesday, November 6th – Specialties
Thursday, November 8th – Specialties
2019
Tuesday, March 5th – Specialties
Wednesday, March 6th – Specialties

Attachments

Summary

At our February 23, 2018 meeting, the following was discussed:

  1. Resident Report C. Whyte Ulysse shared that the call room is still an issue, and there is no update since the last meeting, and will be brought to HUEC in March. Dr. Bernstein, Director of UG Clerkship is working on a plan that will be shared at HUEC as well.
  2. Postgraduate Administrators Advisory Committee (PAAC) shared that the Program Administrators Appreciation Event will be moved to June to accommodate scheduling conflicts that arose for the April date.The PAAC Award nomination forms will be sent out in the coming weeks.
  3. COFM AFMC – The AFMC released its report on the unmatched medical students and it included both a call for increased spots and the principle recommendation and an endorsement of the Toronto-derived BPAS report.
    Transfer Agreements – it was reported that any changes that could add to the burden of call stipends would need to be reported to PGME and also delayed.
    CBME Funds – MOH submission on who provided an analysis on cost factors that the program is responsible for is equivalent to 3 FTE/residents. PGME will need to factor that in and where the money will come from (hospital, Royal College, MOH?). IT/Admin support is a factor that will also need to considered based on program size.
    Quota Allocation Process – MOH continues to be interested and would like more involvement in this process, COFM feels their level of involvement is sufficient at this time. It will be considered at future meetings.
    Unmatched Students – PG is continuing work with the MOH to explore ways to resolution. Definitive answers will be shared once available.
  4. BPEA shared an ITAR sample in follow up to the documents discussed at the previous meeting.
    Competence Committee Minimum Standards – this new BPEA document was shared with the committee with the request for input to adpgme@utoronto.ca by March 8/18.
    Appropriate Disclosure of Learners Needs – this new BPEA document was shared with the committee as well. Members were asked to review the document and send comments to adpgme@utoronto.ca by March 8/18.
  5. Transfer Principles Policy – this policy is due for revision (last version was 2011). Committee members were asked to send their comments to adpgme@utoronto.ca by March 9/18.
  6. Registration Update – M. Morris presented on the registration process throughout the academic year, including important date reminders.The dates for the next CMPA Resident Symposium were provided as well.
  7. MCCEE NAC-OSCE Changes – L. Muharuma provided a brief summary of the changes to the MCCEE process. The most up-to-date information can be found online.
  8. Portal/Blackboard Changes – the University will be phasing out the current portal and replacing it with Quercus. Visit the Toolbox Renewal website more information on the new management system.
  9. UG Accreditation Standards – G. Bandiera reminded the committee that Residents as Teachers Module 1 must be completed by September of their first year. Another reminder that the Goals and Objectives need to be shared to the med students who are being taught by residents, and this is done by site (not program).
  10. Multi Source Feedback for Program Directors – A proposal from the Academy of Resident Teachers (ART) Program was shared with the committee. Members are asked to review and provide feedback on the proposal to adpgme@utoronto.ca by March 16/18.

Attachments

Summary

At our January 26, 2018 meeting, the following was discussed:

  1. Reminder that 2018-19 Rotation Block Dates: will return to Monday start for rotation blocks as of July 2018.
  2. PGME Strategic Plan: was presented at All PDs in December and is awaiting next steps to keep in line with Faculty of Medicine strategic direction.
  3. Medicine R4 Match Results: C. Abrahams shared the history of this process. Historically the number of positions in match for medical subspecialties based on number of eligible PGY3s in Internal Medicine plus CMRs. Prior to 2014, a small number of unmatched trainees did PGY4 year of Internal Medicine. In recent years, there has been an increasing number of trainees opting for 4th year, and therefore, planning for envelope of positions for medical subspecialties affected by increased number of PGY4s in IM and funding limitations.
  4. Resident Report: H. Hussein reminded the committee of Resident Awareness Week on February 5 – 9, 2018. PARO will be hosting a few events including a spa day, and an AGO trip on February 7th. PARO encourages all residents to nominate deserving individuals and programs for the Excellence in Clinical Teaching Awards, Resident Advocate Award and Program Excellence Award. The deadline for nominations is Monday, January 29th, 9:00 am. If anyone would like more information about the awards you can point them to the PARO website. The Toronto PARO GC reps recently had a meeting with the PARO board and two resident concerns were discussed: access to call rooms while on home/buddy call and a possible healthy food delivery service. More information and next steps will be brought forward at the next PGMEAC meeting.
  5. Postgraduate Administrators Advisory Committee (PAAC): shared that working groups have begun work on their project streams. PAAC Award working group finalized and received approval from PAAC on Positive Achievement & Appreciation Certificate (PAAC) award. Requesting recommendation from PGMEAC on selection of a PD and a trainee to participate in the selection committee. PGME will share award nomination process with trainees shortly. Deadline for submission is March 16, 2018 and the award winner will be presented at the Program Administrators Appreciation Event in April.
  6. COFM Update: Return of Service policy changes: Eligible service to begin within one year (from 3 months) as they are  no longer looking for repayment of salaries and benefits – only training co sts. Accommodations will be made for anyextenuating circumstances (failure, injury, illness, etc), and deferrals can be granted one year at a time up to five years. The repayment amount will be pro-rated based on amount of training. In CBD Framework – must pass written to sit oral exam, with a minimum of 8 weeks between multiple choice written exams and oral and a minimum of 12 weeks between short answer and essay writtens and oral.Registration fees will increase as of July 1, 2018 from $700 to $735 and increase $35 annually thereafter until 2021.HUEC A. Kumagai presented a new Task Force for Valuing Clinical Teachers – more information to follow at a later date. AODA training to clinical faculty – the university’s AODA compliance office is required to fill any gaps if there are any. A survey has been sent to retrieve this information by February 5, 2018. PARO shared the issue of not having access to call rooms or not having call rooms available specifically for residents doing home call or buddy call. This has been discussed at HUEC with the recommendation for a “call room audit” to understand issues of access and peak capacity and will be discussed at the March meeting.
  7. IRC: The updated schedule was discussed including the planning of an External Review of the PGME Office and institutional standards likely for November 2018. The IRC and FM IRCSC decision numbers were reviewed.
  8. BPEA: EPA Overall Entrustment Rating scale and Assessment Tool Descriptors for Milestones were agreed upon in principle by PGMEAC members. PGMEAC also agreed on the general concept of ITARs and updating the PGME. Minimum Standards for Resident In Training Evaluation Reports document with a few changes to wording. An updated version of the will be shared at the next PGMEAC meeting. CBME: No updates at this time.
  9. BOE: Presented on the process of assisting residents in difficulty or residents on remediation.
  10. Process/Timelines for IM off-service rotations: were discussed by J. Goguen, reminding the group that all requests must be submitted via the ORBs system. Programs will receive notification of when the system will be open for this to be completed. It was stressed how important it is to submit data on the dates assigned by the DOM and only via ORBs – all other requests will not be accepted.

Attachments

Summary

At our November 24, 2017 meeting, the following was discussed:

  1. 2018-19 Rotation Block Dates will return to Monday start for rotation blocks as of July 2018. The PGMEAC members unanimously voted in favour of this change.
  2. Unmatched Students G. Bandiera shared an update on the unmatched students matters. A survey has been sent to all PGY1 Program Directors from the AFMC Resident Matching Committee who produced a report which addresses measures to reduce the number of, and increase support to, unmatched CMGs. They have requested PGY1 program directors to provide input in a national consultation on the first three of the report’s recommendations. The results will be shared in the new year. Dr. Patricia Houston will be addressing this issue at the All PDs meeting on December 15th and sharing updates.
  3. Resident Report C. White Ulysse shared the date of Resident Awareness Week on February 5 – 9, 2018. PGME will distribute posters from rDOCS to the Medical Education offices for display in hospitals and encourage them to plan for this important week.
  4. Postgraduate Administrators Advisory Committee (PAAC) reported that a survey has been circulated to all PAs about their ICRE experience. The results will be shared at the next meeting. Also, two sub-committees to the PAAC have been formed: 1. Communication Working Group; 2. Program Administrator’s Award – more details to be shared in the new year.
  5. COFM – Return of Service repayment decision by MOH is that trainees will no longer have to repay their salary, but will have to cover infrastructure costs at a prorated fee. ACLS training when a program requires a resident(s) to re-certify, it will be the responsibility of the program to pay the fee. PGME will continue to cover the one-time initial fee.G. Bandiera and the PGME is working with colleagues to formulate a cost funding model which will be submitted to MOH for CBME Funding. More details in the new year. HUEC – PGME Trainee Health and Safety guidelines were approved at HUEC last week. The final guidelines will be distributed in the coming weeks and will be posted on the PGME website. VOTR Survey team were commended for their outstanding work on the progress in addressing issues and recommendations of working environments for residents.
  6. BPEA had their first meeting earlier in November. Work has begun, Terms of Reference were approved and updates will be shared at future PGMEAC meetings.
  7. CBME team will be sending an email to PDs asking for any significant changes that they may have regarding the traditional request for on or off-service rotations. This email will request PDs to review previous years’ rotations and decide if/how they will look in the next year.
  8. Office of Resident Wellness presented an update on changes coming in 2018: Two members will join the ORW – Associate Director and a Counsellor will begin in January. This will reduce the wait times that trainees are currently experiencing. Wellness office has been very busy with over 1200 visits in 2016 alone – a report on 2017 results will come out later in 2018.

Attachments

Summary

At our October 27, 2017 PGMEAC meeting, the following was discussed:

  1. 2018-19 Rotation Block Dates were discussed with concern from the group about the Tuesday start. An email will be sent to solicit a vote from members who were absent at the meeting on whether to go back to the Monday start in the 2018/19 year and moving forward. Those present all agreed to go back to a Monday rotation block start. An update will be provided at the November meeting.
  2. In follow up to Dean Trevor Young’s attendance at the last meeting to discuss unmatched students, this issue is still being monitored and a UofT Task Force is meeting regularly to address the situation with a resolution.
  3. Resident Report provided an update that their first PARO Teaching to Teach Workshop that was held at ICRE in October was a success. This half-day workshop is available to all residents and programs in Ontario upon request.
  4. Postgraduate Administrators Advisory Committee (PAAC) provided an update on the increased value from attending ICRE – the workshops and plenaries about CBD were very informative. The committee has received an increased interest from PAs to join the committee. There is consideration of presenting on the PAAC at next year’s ICRE and will be discussed at their next meeting.
  5. PG Deans meeting decided on which programs will move forward with a CBD Cohort 2 launch in 2018, they are: Medical Oncology, Surgical Foundations, Emergency Medicine, Forensic Pathology, Urology and Nephrology
  6. BPEA membership has been formed and the first meeting will be held in November.
  7. CBME has created a national document on Clarifying Myths, which will be posted on the Royal College website and our PGME website shortly.
  8. PG Trainee Health and Safety Guidelines were presented for approval with revisions and input from the members and PARO. The following changes have be made: (a) Revisions to comply with new RCPSC General Standards of Accreditation for Institutions with Residency Programs will be implemented now even though they don’t officially launch until July 2019 as they are improvements that can be implemented currently. (b) PGME will be organizing Best Practice workshops for PDs on how to best orientate residents on safety, and how to create specialty specific tools to help and guide programs produce these documents.(c) Editorial revisions re PARO (new spelling) and updated reference links. (d) Change the wording to be consistent on addressing resident fatigue to reflect consistency in reporting mechanisms and collaboration on shared responsibility. The guidelines with these revisions will be sent to the group for approval and then submitted to HUEC for final approval.
  9. PGCorED Satisfaction survey results were presented. Program specific reports will be sent later in the year. All PDs can access their program summaries online. Reports accessed from the site are in real time, reflecting the most current PGCorEd module completion information. To access the site, please email pgcoredinfo@utoronto.ca for instructions.

Attachments

2015-16 PGMEAC Agendas, Minutes & Attachments

This PGMEAC meeting was cancelled.

2013-14 PGMEAC Agendas, Minutes & Attachments

The April 2014 PGMEAC meeting was cancelled.

Attachments

2012-13 PGMEAC Agendas, Minutes & Attachments

There was no PGMEAC meeting, instead members of the RCPSC visited PGME.

2011-12 PGMEAC Agendas, Minutes & Attachments

Attachments

Attachments

© 2016 Post MD Education. All rights reserved.

WordPress Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux