Robert Sheppard Award for Health Equity and Social Justice
The Robert Sheppard Award for Health Equity and Social Justice was established in 2016 in honour of Dr. Robert Sheppard who served as Associate Dean, Postgraduate Medicine from 1977 to 1988 at the University of Toronto. Dr. Sheppard was one of the first endocrinologists in Canada. Apart from being an influential endocrinologist and Faculty Leader, Dr. Sheppard was deeply committed to volunteering initiatives in his community after retiring from medicine.
This award recognizes outstanding contributions of faculty members and medical residents/fellows involved in the development and/or implementation of activities, programs or research related to social justice and health equity in faculty development or postgraduate medical education.
Up to 3 awards may be presented annually. Each winner will receive a certificate with a financial prize. Winners will be notified directly. Faculty members will be recognized at the Faculty’s Annual Educational Achievement Event in May.
- Faculty: Any faculty member in any department who participates in the education of postgraduate trainees at the University of Toronto
- Faculty: Any faculty member in any department who contributes to faculty development
- Resident/Fellow: Any resident/fellow currently registered as a trainee with the postgraduate medical education office.
- Nominations can be made by any faculty member or trainee
- Faculty member nominations must be supported by a Department Chair
- Trainee nominations must be supported by a Residency, Fellowship, or Site Director
- Nominator is responsible for submission of the nomination package and informing the nominee
- Nomination letter addressed to Dr. Salvatore Spadafora, Vice Dean, Post MD Education.
Selection Criteria and Considerations
- Contribution to assessing or meeting the needs of marginalized communities
- Level of collaboration and partnerships with relevant communities and organizations.
- Contribution to awareness and promotion of social justice and health equity
- Contribution to leadership development in faculty and medical trainees
- Contribution to addressing the determinants of health, health promotion, disease or injury prevention among individuals, communities and populations.
Nomination Form & Checklist
The nominations will be reviewed and ranked by the Global Health Awards Committee. The nominating chairs and winners will be notified at the beginning of April by the Vice Dean’s office.
If you have any questions, please contact Arlene McKinley at 416-946-5471 or email@example.com.